Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Epiphany

You know those moments that you have either a mad case of Deja Vu or the right idea pretty much hits you upside the head?

Yeah, I had one of those moments over the holiday weekend.

I've been battling these extra pounds that I so gracefully acquired over the last few months while on steroids for treatment of my illness. Well, I've been off the 'roids for about a month now. I've been exercising, eating better (as I sit tonight with a low fat/low cal bowl of ice cream in front of me this evening) and I've lost about 2 whole pounds. Sure, thats great and all but two pounds for sweating my butt off outside walking, eating healthy foods! CRIMINY.



As I'm doing my weekly grocery shopping, loading up on produce... I had an epiphany. When I was working, I would buy the same things consistently and just make small variations of the meals each week to try to keep our palates intrigued. Since I've been at home now almost four months, I have been purchasing food to make meals. For lunch and dinner. I've been cooking like I've been at home, instead of cooking like I was working. For instance, I've been making myself something for lunch, albeit a sandwich, or a couple veggie corn dogs and sweet potato fries...then eating dinner later. I am not expending as much energy as I once was, so although I am eating healthier choices, I'm eating more than I did working.

I decided this weekend to go back to the same concept of what I was doing when I was working.  A greek yogurt and a granola bar for breakfast. A piece of fruit about mid way to lunch. Lunch was normally an eating right miso noodle soup cup, some yogurt and some form of chips (red hot blues, baked snikiddy snacks, etc). Then, an afternoon snack was usually another piece of fruit or veggies with hummus. THEN dinner.

I purchased yogurt and granola bars, some fruit, some frozen meals (yes, most are loaded with sodium however, I used them a LONG time ago to help with portion control on meals. You get used to eating smaller amounts). I purchased the Weight Watchers entrees to help curb the sodium/fat.

Tomorrow, I start working for my sister... well, I use the term working loosely. I am going to babysit my one and a half year old niece and my five year old nephew for her and her husband to help out since I am currently not working. I am going to treat it like my 'job' and bring my lunches and snacks. Even though my sister always tells me to help myself; there are way too tempting items in their home because the children love them (cookies, fruit snacks, mac and cheese... the list goes on). So, if I bring my own food and fruits, it'll be easier to follow with my plan. Not to mention running around after small children for a few hours a day to help with the waistline.

Tomorrow, once my niece falls asleep for her nap, the five year old and I are going to go swimming. He loves it. To be fair, she does too but she is clingy in the pool and sometimes gets tired of it quickly and I dont want the boy to get excited to swim and have to get out 10 minutes later. The bonus this week though, is that my twelve year old nephew is there this week too. So, I get to roughhouse with a couple boys for a few hours while she sleeps.

I hope you all had an amazing, wonderful weekend. I ate my way through the weekend. I was good on Saturday until the evening, then there was a big debate on what was for dinner. So, there was a frozen pizza eaten. Sunday, I was good all morning until we went to my sisters house. I had intended to eat a chicken breast that I brought, but her in laws brought such good food. Ground turkey street tacos. Delicious. Then, I had to partake in the Flag Cake. Her cousin in law made a bundt cake that looked like the flag when you cut it. How can you say no to that? Monday, I was good until we met up with a few friends. I had a BLT on rye for lunch with a Sierra Nevada. Then, we went to another place where I had two margaritas. Then, after a day out on the town, what else sounds better than Cold Stone. So, we went and got ice cream. Well, I got the cake batter frozen yogurt with graham crackers and strawberries in it. Overall, even with the extra crap consumption (hello guilt for the frozen pizza) I still am down a total of two pounds. I'm very close to getting into the 130 category again.

I received a recipe suggestion from my cousin this weekend. I intend to post later this week.

Hope you all had a safe, healthy, happy holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment