Friday, July 1, 2011

Coupons...

Coupons. Most everyone loves them... or as they are called in our family; Coo-pins. As in, "lets go here to eat, I have a coo-pin for half off!"

I regularly buy an Entertainment book, get emails for Groupon, Living Social and we have a subscription to the Wednesday and Sunday paper so I can grab coupons out of them. There is a local grocery store here in the Valley, Fry's (Kroger) that takes all competitor coupons as well so I try to gather as many as I can as well as scan the ads to see who generally has what on sale.

I'm not sure that you have noticed, but I surely have. The coupons that are regularly distributed in the papers are for... well, pooh. Hamburger Helper. Magnum Ice Cream bars. Totinos Pizza Rolls. I could go on.



I know eating healthy does cost a little more than eating pooh. Well, not actual pooh unless you're in Japan. Then, it would be more to eat actual pooh than real food.

JAPAN SCIENTIST SYNTHESIZES MEAT FROM HUMAN FECES 


http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrends/20110615/tc_digitaltrends/japanesescientistscreatesmeatoutoffeces?wtf




In which case, I would be looking into growing my own food in my backyard, and I'm not talking fertilizer.

Which brings me back to the current topic. Coupons.

I would check with your local supermarket to see if they accept all or any competitor coupons. If so, you can maximize your healthy purchase by spending that money on produce or healthy, lean proteins. For example, Albertsons has been running an ad in our Wednesday paper for $10 off a $100 purchase. We normally spend about a hundred dollars a week for groceries anyhow (we do not eat out very often, this is for all of our meals for the week). They take this coupon on top of any of the ad savings they are running that week. Score. And, depending on how much you spend Fresh and Easy also has coupons in the Wednesday paper. Normally they have a $3 off $30 or $5 off $50. If you are doing a big haul at the store, you can get up to $15 bucks off, just with those coupons.

This is where you need to maximize your grocery purchase. By trying to find coupons such as this to help supplement your basket with the healthier items; fruits, veggies and lean meats. The coupons that the manufacturers are releasing every week seem to be for something that is not healthy in any regard. I've been inundated with those coupons for the Magnum Ice Cream Bar. Yes, it looks sinfully divine. But, if I recall, it has some astronomical amount of fat and calories in it. Like, my hand should have exploded after I touched it. These are the things the manufacturers want you to buy. They put out coupons for something, the stores double the coupons and lower the prices and make it seem like its a great deal. But, that deal is going to stay with you for a LONG time.

Be on the lookout for coupons that the store has out for you to take there at the store. You know, the ones in the aisles, in the odd places. I found coupons for the Morningstar Farms items on the freezer door right in front of them. They also had a coupon for the Ronzoni Garden Delight Pasta. Guess what? The grocery store had them on sale 10 for $10. My coupon that I got while I was shopping at the store just for paying attention was $1 off. It ended up completely free.

Shop the ads. Check to see who takes the most coupons. Check to see who ad matches. These will help you maximize your dollar to help you purchase the healthier choices for your meals.

What's your favorite coupon site? Do you use coupons?

No comments:

Post a Comment