Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Happy New Year!

I'm guessing that everyone is making a resolution this year...

..except me

I don't think that resolutions are things that people tend to really stick to.






Resolutions seem to be exactly that...what seemed like a good idea at the time.

Why break yourself into thinking that you have to do this or have to stop doing that in order to get through the year?

Losing weight isn't a resolution. Its a lifestyle change. You have to be committed. When I started losing weight, I told myself I wouldn't use the word diet in my vocabulary. Why? It makes you psychologically feel like you are being restrained. If you make a 'lifestyle change' you can still eat better without feeling all of the restrictions and negative connotations that stem from the word diet.





You make the choices of what you want to eat. That was the hardest part of me losing weight before. I blamed other people for what I ate. I was in full control and I still am.

The holidays weren't too bad, all considering. I got married in November and the week we got back from our honeymoon was Thanksgiving. Christmas rolled up shortly thereafter and then New Years. I did gain some from the meal plan we were on at the resort we stayed at and from recently learning how to make my own bread, but I digress.

I am getting back to the healthy eating habits that made me who I am; its what I know and what I'm good at. I've been told by many people they are impressed with my discipline. I just ask myself before I eat something, do I really want this? If I know it isn't worth the calories; I won't eat it. Its that easy.

We had people over for dinner a few times over the holidays. I am a big proponent of making everything myself. Yes, it is a lot more work. Yes, it exhausts me. However, the benefit is that I know exactly what is going into what I am about to eat and serve. I can control the fat and calorie content.

For New Years, I made the Skinnytaste Pork Carnitas. I let them simmer a little longer than what the recipe calls for and the meat was incredibly shreddable. (Note: I make my own adobo seasoning since the Goya brand she has mentioned has MSG in it.)

I also made the Skinnytaste Cilantro Lime Rice as a side. For an appetizer, I made my own bean dip and two types of homemade salsa; served with tortilla chips.
 
Layered Bean Dip (perfect for the NFL Playoffs)

2 cans of Rosarita Spicy Jalapeno Refried Beans
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 tablespoon of mexican oregano
1 small can of mild green chiles
1 8oz block of fat free cream cheese (room temperature)
3/4 a cup of fat free sour cream
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
Pico de Gallo (I used a store bought container for sheer convenience)
1 can of black olives
1 tablespoon Lawrys Taco Seasoning (Note: you can use your own mix of spices, I used it for convenience) 
Cilantro


Take both cans of refried beans and heat up slowly. Add onion and garlic powders, along with green chiles.

While the beans are heating up, take a hand mixer and mix the taco seasoning, mexican oregano, cream cheese and sour cream together until well incorporated. Set aside.

Once the beans have heated through, turn off and remove from heat.

I took a 9x13 baking dish and spread the beans in a thin layer at the bottom of the pan. Then, I spread the cheese mixture into a thin layer on top of the beans. From there, I added the cheese, pico and black olives on top, cilantro as garnish. Serves 12.

Beans are full of protein and are incredibly filling. Although typical layered dips are bad for you, I believe this one is a little healthier not to mention more flavorful (spices are key!)

Cheers to you and yours!


No comments:

Post a Comment