Monday, May 7, 2012

A little push

Sometimes, a little push goes a long way. You know, that little pat on the back you get from your husband...the high five you get from your best friend or the spontaneous I love you from your baby niece. Its just that little push inside of you that tells you that whatever you're doing, you're doing it right.

I've been working very hard at getting back down to my pre-Dave weight. What is that you ask? The weight I was before Dave and I started dating. We're getting married in about six months and I want to make sure I look my best. The first time I was married, I was well over 250 lbs. This time, I want to buy the dress I want, not the dress that fits. That may sound odd, but I'm really not a fashionista. I like clothes and I like certain clothes but I'd much rather be in a pair of soccer shorts and a Hurley shirt if I had any say in it. So, when you're a girl and overweight, its difficult to find a dress that doesn't have a giant bow over your ass to cover it up. Or ruffles. Giant, ass covering, ruffles. Maybe those dress makers might come to the realization that not everyone has an affliction that they want to cover up with a ruffle. Or bow. Or strategically placed designs. My friend Olivia and I laughed so hard until we cried several years back realizing that most clothes for overweight women are fluorescent, Winnie the Pooh shirts. As if we being that size want to draw more attention to ourselves by wearing a florescent lime green shirt that has Eeyore on it.

I digress.

I'd been lackadaisically using the myfitnesspal application on my iphone. Mostly, to keep track of my food diary when I wanted to be more stringent with my intake. One of my friends that I had worked with (at a now defunct bank) and I have been friends on facebook for some time. She became my friend on myfitnesspal. At first, I started out with a fury. Trying to make sure I logged every day, any exercise, anything. I started slacking, like I had before when I was on my own and she posted on my feed "Hey, am I the only one doing this??" It made me stop and think. I have an electronic partner in crime. Someone to be accountable to. Someone that will pat me on the back when I do well and when I don't, gives me motivation to move on.

See, when you're working out, missing one day isnt the end of the world. It really isnt. Life happens and some things you can't control. Sometimes, you get tired and your body needs to rest. But, if you keep shrugging it off... you won't get back into the game.

Last week, I had gone on a 7.2 mile mountain bike ride Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and by Wednesday, I was tired. I decided to take the night off. I changed into my jammies and laid on the couch. Two hours later, I started getting a migraine. I ended up taking a pill and was in bed by 7:15. Thursday and Friday I just was busy and didn't have a chance to work out. Saturday I  did a little around the house and yesterday I woke up and realized that even though I logged my food, I hadn't worked out in a few days. And saw how many calories my friend had burned in my newsfeed. I posted that I had some downtime but I'm getting back in the game. She replied back, "You go girl!'

That's all I needed.  A little push. And yesterday, even after going out for Cinco de Mayo Saturday night and getting home really late (or early in the morning... potato, pah-tato) I got up at 8, had a cup of coffee and did 10 miles on the mountain bike. I ran a few errands, did a little baking, my laundry and finally was able to relax and took a bath.

Sometimes, those little words of inspiration mean so much. Do you use myfitnesspal? If you want to have some electronic motivation, friend me. My username is melissamichele.

4 comments:

  1. What is myfitnesspal, exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new look to the blog looks great! I always enjoy reading your posts. You have a gift of truly writing from your heart. I use FitnessPal also, so I am going to friend you. Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jasmin, Myfitnesspal is an application that I have on my iPhone that helps me log what I eat every day, keep my calories in check. It also allows you to log your exercise and meet your goals that way.

    Vanessa, Lose it? I might have to check it out to see if I like it.

    Maryann, Thank you! I thank you for reading them too! I try to write like I talk :) I accepted your friend request. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete