Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday Roundup!

Hey everyone!

This weekend is Mother's Day. In my family, my mom is the end all be all decision maker when it comes to most things. And, if there is ever any question, there are two words that enforce this that everyone knows. What are those two words you ask? Mama said. 

Or, my dad's favorite word... "CINDEEEEEEEEEEEE (yelling at my mom) can you grab me another (insert random item around the house here)." Mom, "I think you're good, you don't need any more" ... "just grab it for me" ... then, he turns to one of us kids and and tries to get us to get whatever he wants for him. The, the end all be all words are said to put a stamp on the situation. "Mama Said"

My mom did alot for us when we were growing up. My parents had separated and my mom had to get a grip on all three of us rowdy girls. My sisters and I used to fight like dudes. Frying pans, baseball bats, jumpropes... you name it and we launched it at each other. Sometimes, in packs. One on two. Or, sometimes one on one on one.

 I learned real quick like how to patch some drywall when I was a kid and I got pissed at my sisters for banging on my wall. My solution? Punch through the wall. Then the convenient NKOTB poster was put over the hole to hide it. This worked swimmingly until one day my mom announced we were going to be painting our rooms. I tried to ask her to paint around them. I mean, who would EVER take a NKOTB poster off the wall? I mean, just look...






Yeah. 

I just admitted that. 

My mom did alot to make us who we are today. My sisters and I used to pool our allowance money to buy a big bag of M&M's to play poker and blackjack. Whoever won, got the most. Unless they were eaten first. She made sure that we always had a home cooked meal, every night. We didn't appreciate it then, because all of our friends were going out to dinner all the time and we had grilled chicken or pot roast or enchiladas. We didn't understand at the time she was teaching us how to be strong, frugal and still feed our family. But she was also giving us time to spend together. Around the table, every night. 

When we were old enough and we weren't glued to Wallace and Ladmo in the mornings before school, we'd all sit and have something for breakfast too. What's Wallace and Ladmo you ask? If you grew up here in Arizona, everyone wanted to be on the show. It was a local kids show that played cartoons and did little skits. But, the REAL reason people wanted to be on the show was to get a Ladmo bag. It was essentially a paper bag that was full of kid crap, but it was sought after more than any of of the Garbage Pail Kids. I found a clip from their 35th Year Anniversary where none other than Alice Cooper won a Ladmo Bag. 




Although my mom and I don't talk to each other every day and don't always see eye to eye... she's still my mama and I know I am who I am because of who she is. And I love her for it.


We are doing a mexican themed Mother's Day celebration because, Mama Said. In light of this, I am going to do a roundup of my favorite healthy mexican recipes.

Enjoy!

~My recipe for homemade crockpot Green Chili with chicken!

~My recipe for homemade Hot Red Salsa

~ Gina's Skinnytaste Slow Cooked Mexican Carnitas (note, since this is not my site I do not have permission to use her images.. but if you look at what she's got there, I've made it and it was hoovered promptly) 


~My recipe for Chicken Fajitas

~ Cooking Light's recipe for Chipotle Lime Roast Chicken with Tomatillo Sauce 

~Gina's Skinnytaste Cilantro Lime Tilapia Tacos

~ My recipe for a side dish- take a half of a cup of instant white rice (it will make a cup, cooked) and open a can of Rotel (I personally like the HOT or the Lime & Cilantro) and use the juice inside the can instead of water for the rice. You should get really close to a half of a cup. Whatever is deficient, just add water to make it a half a cup. Once the rice is almost done, take a quarter of a cup of the Rotel and mix it in with the rice. Voila. You have mexican rice to eat as a side dish. You can garnish with green onion and cilantro. 

Yes, I've posted a few from Skinnytaste...I will tell you that these recipes in no way shape or form taste like they are healthy. They are all good, super filling and very tasty.

Have a HAPPY WEEKEND AND A WONDERFUL MOTHER'S DAY!



No comments:

Post a Comment