Monday, April 16, 2012

Gum

Yes. Gum. That sticky, gooey substance that you inevitably find on your shoe when you least expect it. Or want it. Perhaps right after cleaning your carpets. Or, meeting someone for the first time. . . if you're like me, you've also sat in it before. In the Arizona sun. In the summer. It's always fun googling how to remove it from your pants (ps, ice works fairly well)

Every time I buy gum, I always have to differentiate for my man the difference if I purchased 'adult gum' or fun gum. I love the flavored gum. Especially the flavors that make you feel five again. . .the Extra bubble gum (which is wrapped just like a piece of spearmint Wrigleys, but tastes deceptively like Double Bubble).

Its pure sugar; but I love the Grape Bubblicious. I even found an air freshener that smells like it. I have leather in my car so it absorbs the smell and everyone always says that my car smells the same... its funny how smells can take you to another place. It doesn't matter how long its been since I've seen someone, they open my car door and say the same thing every time... but I digress.



Why am I writing about gum, you ask?

Its a GREAT food deterrent. If you are feeling antsy and find yourself not hungry, but what I like to refer to as 'snacky' I like to chew a piece of gum. Otherwise, I find myself capable of 'snacking' through a sample of everything in the house. You know what I'm talking about. Those days you say you aren't very hungry but eat a bowl of cereal, ice cream, pop corn, a spoonful of peanut butter and a piece of raisin toast for dinner. Then finish it off with a piece of cheese and a banana, to finish the day healthy. Yeah, I've been there.

I had stopped buying gum because my man likes 'adult gum'... which is no fun. When I think of gum, I think of this...



 And how excited Buddy was to think running around New York he was getting free candy.

I like to use gum as my deterrent to put anything else in my mouth. . . for instance, more food. I've found a few 'adult' watermelon flavored gum varieties. I can even blow bubbles with it.

I've been watching what I've been eating really closely and when I am finished with the portion that I brought for lunch (I bring myself lunch every day not to be tempted by being influenced to eat something bad) I put in a piece of gum. I'm one of those people that needs something sweet to end my meal and gum is perfect. It doesn't have many calories, you can get it in practically any flavor (I've even seen strawberry shortcake and mint chocolate chip flavored gum!) and is portable and won't melt in your purse.

Have you used gum to keep yourself from eating too much before? What's your favorite flavor?

3 comments:

  1. I've never really thought that much about gum. If I have some it is usually mint of some sort. Didn't realize there were so many different flavors. Chocolate chip mint...........hmmmm.....might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not going to lie I love the cotton candy flavored one...but that much gum (bubble yum I think) hurts my jaw...

    ReplyDelete