Monday, March 5, 2012

Udi's Gluten Free

It's nice to know that all my rants actually are seen by people other than my mom and friends.

I had made some comments on the lack of delicious gluten free breads/cookies/pizza crusts etc back in December. Well, someone at Udi's Gluten Free happened to see my rant and wanted to set me on a better path to find great products.

They sent me a Bloggers Box with Pizza Crusts, Snickerdoodle cookies and Cinnamon Raisin bread. I had received the box on a Friday night, right before dinner. It did not stop me from opening the box of cookies. I took a bite and was pretty amazed at the texture, the fact it was not dry but more importantly, that it actually tasted good.  I ate another... then I waited for my man to get home and had him try one. He didn't know it wasn't gluten free.

Inspired, I wanted to make one of the pizzas for dinner the following night. I got one of the crusts and topped it with mozzarella, a little shredded parm, some basil, capers and baked it. I was hesitant with it, because all of the gluten free pizzas don't stay crisp at all. You bake them until they look like they're about to burn, and when you take them out- the center is soggy after you put it on the plate. Its disgusting. So, given the poor expectations I had going into it, I was happy when the pizza stayed crisp, but the center of it didn't get mushy. The only thing I can compare it to would be the consistency of a New York style slice. It wasn't crisp, but it wasn't soggy. I fully enjoyed both of them and are going to purchase more at my local Sprouts the next time they do their Gluten Free sale.

The cinnamon raisin bread is very tasty. Its rather dry if you try to eat it without toasting it, but if you plan on using it for toast, its perfect. Great flavor, perfect toast texture.

Overall, the Udi's products really did kind of open my eyes that there are many options to choose when eating Gluten Free. I've found that the Glutino brand is awful. Anything of theirs is awful. I like the Mi-Del arrowroot crackers. One of my friends actually had a handful of them thinking they were animal crackers and had no idea they were Gluten Free. But, for the dollar, I'd say Udi's has the secret recipe for the best Gluten Free options.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I'll get lucky and my store will get a shipment of the regular Udi's bread and it will actually be soft (after thawing). The cinnamon raisin bread and bagels have always been dry though.

    Their pizza crust is definitely my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed our products Melissa! Our mission is to make the best tasting gluten free products out there, so it's nice to hear we hit the mark in some areas. Thanks for writing a post about us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly did Wendy! Gwendolyn seems to agree as well. I'd say you guys have cornered the market on the pizza crusts for sure. I appreciate the opportunity you gave me to sample them!

    ReplyDelete