Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Transitions

Hi there... yes, I am still alive and kicking. It's been quite busy the last few months with work and school and I've not kept my vow to try to write once a week.

Transitioning into any new routine is hard work and sometimes in doing one thing... you learn about something else. And then another and another. Thus is the circle of life.

The weather here in the Phoenix area has been amazing the last week or so; in the 40's at night and in the 60's during the day. In the words of my man, "these are the months I live for!" But with that, I discovered that there is something lurking that was just waiting for this weather to arrive. After my accident this year, I've had some lingering issues that no one can explain... I have little to no feeling in the heel of my right foot on occasion, in addition to tingling and numbness down the side of my right leg below my knee. I always feel like its a crapshoot when I stand up if I'm going to feel it or not. As my friend put it, its walking around in a drunk like fashion with no drinks. I think her and I could be a comedic pair after a few beers.

I did have one new issue crop up with this cooler weather recently and that my friends, is arthritis type pain. I haven't actually been to the Dr yet, so I don't know exactly what it is, but I have issues in my hands, my feet, my knees... all of my joints feel like someone hit them with a ball peen hammer. Repeatedly. After work, its everything I have sometimes to get up the parking garage stairs to get to the car. Thank goodness for Aleve.

In true headstrong fashion, I consulted everyone I know to ask them for advice on what I can do to try to alleviate this pain and the swelling. The result? The reason for the title of the blog today. I am going to try to transition into Gluten Free eating. Restriction of gluten is supposed to help with the swelling and pain that is associated with those symptoms.

For anyone that has known me for an extended period of time, I love beer. I love bread, in the words of a friend... its my gateway carb. It's not going to be an easy transition. My man made a comment saying good luck with avoiding a beer. I don't expect it to be easy. I don't expect it to be cheap. I don't expect to necessarily know how to bake or how to eat the right foods. Its like just knowing you're supposed to breathe air then all of a sudden someone said, "What the hell are you doing? You're a fish. You're supposed to be under the water!" But, sometimes, we have to give up and sacrifice to be in better health and spirits.

I am blessed enough to have friends that care and have sent me a multitude of suggestions on getting started. I hope that I can report back next week on the first week of my journey.

Hoping all is well with each and every one of you. If you have any feedback or questions, feel free to post!

No comments:

Post a Comment