Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Three Days Gluten Free

Yeah, maybe you've heard me say it so its old news now. But, for me to be gluten free for three days is an amazing feat. For one who loves beer, loves bread, cake, cookies. You name it, I loved eating it.

Saturday I made a trip to Trader Joes to help me get started down the right path. They have a list of all of the items they carry that have no gluten in them. I also found that most of the items had a sticker above it saying Gluten Free. . . of course, veggies are an obvious. As are meats... For me, being a semi-vegetarian with an intolerance for MSG and beef, allergies to teriyaki and mesquite makes it somewhat difficult. I probably spent the better part of an hour going through their tiny store looking for what I wanted.

I've always been somewhat creative when it comes to cooking, most of my recipes are derived from a recipe I liked, but made into my own. I tried to get a few different things that would give me creative liberty in what I wanted to make, not tying me down into one specific thing. For instance, I bought some white tuna, canned in water. I bought green onions, stone ground mustard, toasted (unsalted) slivered almonds and celery to make either tuna wraps (on romaine or on a brown rice tortilla) or for me to throw on a salad. I also purchased a bunch of veggies and made a ragout. I spread some TJ's spicy hummus on the inside of the (brown rice) tortilla then put the ragout in the middle. Wrapped and served. Today's lunch was pollo asada sauteed with a fresh jalapeno and some onion, served in a brown rice tortilla with salsa on the side. I am SO thankful that TJ's jalapeno cheese crunchies are gluten free. They remind me of Cheetos when I could eat them. I've brought those as a accompaniment to my lunch the last few days (in the 100 calorie bag.) For dessert, I bought TJ's pear sauce. I've never had pear sauce before, so it sounded interesting. Its good, but doesnt have the intense flavor of pear like I had hoped.


I read a lot of information that said for those doing a gluten free diet to take a probiotic. Well, let me just say that between eating gluten free for the last few days and taking the probiotic at night, my stomach sounds like the second coming of Gozer.





That my friends, is great. Especially when you try to get all romantical with your man friend. "Hey baby, I love you..." "I love you, too..." Then, all of a sudden very loudly you hear ARE YOU A GOD from the direction of my stomach. Either Gozer is living in there or I'm going to pop out an alien sometime soon to unleash destruction across the country.

I can hope that after a few days when my body gets acclimated to it, it won't be as noticeable. I would recommend to anyone that is trying a new way of eating to try a probiotic supplement. I got mine at Trader Joes. It wasn't horribly expensive and I always have had good outcomes with all of their product.

Is anyone else out there Gluten Free? Any tips, suggestions, comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment