Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The last chapter in this book of life, part 1

There comes a time and place where you know you're ready to move on... the way you're doing things, living your life, the tv shows you watch; you get my drift.

I started this journey losing weight approximately 7 years ago. I was lackadaisical about it for a good period of time. Then, I started seeing results. Results that lasted. I was just about 260 lbs when I started this journey. I'm 128 lbs today.

I slowly made better choices. I did get sidetracked. I did drink beer. I did eat glorious amounts of chicken wings... but I did lose weight. I worked my ass off to do it, too.



The latter part of 2008-beginning of 2009, I noticed my weight stabilizing. I varied between 129-133. I felt great, but I had a lot of extra skin, especially around my middle. My belly button looked like a sad face.

The man that I am going to marry told me that he thought that I was sexy because of the sheer determination I had to get where I was. He knew I was self conscious about the way I looked in certain clothes and never said anything bad to me about what I chose to wear. But he knew it bothered me.

As an aside (which will make sense later) I've also come to the realization that I most likely will not have kids. I'm coming up on a ripe age where I feel the risks outweigh the benefits. David and I most likely will adopt once we're married and I have my degree.

Circling back, after David officially proposed back in December (the first time was without a ring :) )
we started talking about destination weddings. We wanted a hassle free way for us to get married and have a honeymoon all in one, since weddings are so damn expensive these days. After searching for a place, we found an island in the Bahamas to tie the knot. We don't need bloodwork, a guarantee of first born children or samples of dna. We can just go, show the documents they ask, get a license and have our official ceremony on the beach (some other countries require you to get married in their courthouse first, then have a ceremony on the beach.)

Once we decided to go this route, David cautiously brought up that if I wanted to get the excess skin removed before we got married, I could. I just stopped and thought for a little while. I did have some issues with infections in my sad face belly button because the skin pinched it shut. I tried everything I could to avoid it, but it didn't stop it. I just didnt want to be 'that girl' that did it without thinking about it all. There are side effects and nerve sensation that can be lost. There can be necrosis of the muscle tissue. All things that no one wants to think about.

I went and got a consultation with a Dr in about March. He did confirm what I had initially thought, but was skeptical of; all of the area around my middle was skin- not fat. He gave me options and a price and I talked with David about it.

After talking extensively about it, the thoughts on children, etc we decided to proceed.

As the date approached, I became more and more nervous of the procedure, if I was doing the right thing, if it was selfish of me, if it would change my out look on my appearance.

The day I went in to sign all the forms and disclaimers, I became extremely apprehensive. 8 pages of what could happen. . . including death.

As the big day approached, I started getting a little excited about the idea of a new belly button (yes, you get a new one) no more infections, less stretch marks, all of it.

On the big day, David took some pictures of me before we left. This way, I'd have something to show for my befores and afters. We left for the hospital and on our way to a new me.

...Stay tuned, the rest of this story and the pictures to be posted in the coming weeks. 

3 comments:

  1. So happy for you!!! are you going to tell us how much all that skin weighed? I am overly curious from a scientific point of few...congrats and hope you are doing good. Can"T wait for part two

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your weight loss! To drop that much weight is a real achievement. Here's to staying healthy from here on out. :)

    ReplyDelete