Monday, August 29, 2011

Find your passion

I hate the gym. Hate. Loathe. Want to burn it down. I dislike going to the gym immensely. I've signed up for the gym in the past telling myself that I can get over it. Work through it. But, every time I'm there I find myself looking for matches. A dear friend of mine is currently in Hawaii visiting her mom. She had recently said that she hasn't really been trying to lose weight, but in all the activities they are doing, she's lost 11 lbs.

It takes time to figure out what it is that drives you. What it is that works for you. You cannot fit a square peg into a round hole. Unless you're the Hulk or maybe Optimus Prime. Then, you can force whatever you want into whatever size hole you want to.

I went through phases where I told myself going to the gym was fun... motivation rallied... I get there, and before I walk in the door I was already discouraged. Some people do well at the gym in that type of environment. I discovered the hard way I am not that person. I tried. I really did! I failed valiantly. I really did! I set myself up for failure trying to conform to societies go-to way to lose weight.

What I did learn was what inspired me. Surprisingly, I found that I could walk for the better part of a few hours and not be fatigued. I also found that between that and eating better, I lost weight. My walks gradually turned into jogs, and my jogs gradually turned into runs. That was my time; my time to relax, to think, to put things into motion. I found myself looking forward to that alone time with my thoughts. And, the weight was coming off.

I also tried signing up for Krav Maga classes. If you want a good workout, a way to beat the ever loving crap out of people and a great way to lose weight... this is for you. It is a very hard core self defense class that not only will help you tone up, but will also help you defend yourself in a potentially life threatening situation.



Now, imagine doing that for an hour every night. Guess what? You lose weight. In the three months I did this, I lost 27 lbs. Asinine. But, its also very, very aggressive. Its somewhat the same concept as the gym, but its going to a studio that the primary focus is only Krav and Kickboxing. I almost died in the first class, huffing and puffing it out. But, by the time that the end of my three months came around, I was able to do an hour of the Krav and an hour kickboxing class. I started seeing definition on my arms and legs. I did this in addition to walking 2 or so miles every other few days. I was determined to lose weight. And, I did.


You can lose weight if you put your mind to it. You have to focus and find your outlet. Don't be disappointed if you don't like going to the gym, you don't like running... You have to experiment and find what works best for you. For me, I've found that walking is my go to. If I can't walk- I love mountain biking. I love being outside. I hate being locked on a treadmill at the gym. The reason being is very simple. If I am three miles from home on my bike, there is only one way for my happy ass to get back home. It doesnt include pressing stop on the treadmill and walking to my car. The only way I can get home is if I pedal my butt back home.

There are tons and tons of things for you to try to decide what works best for you... Yoga, Pilates, Kickboxing, Mountain Biking, Running, Dancing... the options are limitless...

Your only deterrent to losing weight is yourself.

What's your favorite way to exercise?

No comments:

Post a Comment