Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Scale

There are fewer things that most women dread more than stepping on the scale. Every time you go to the Dr, those magic words come out, "can you please step on the scale" immediately proceeded by the removal of anything that could add any extra weight... purse, shoes, spare change in our pockets. Even going to the bathroom before you get pulled back to see the Dr in hopes that might shed a little. Then the moment of reckoning comes. BAH! Then, there is the reasoning with yourself. Well, I weighed myself naked at home... they dont do that here. Give me a pound for the clothes and shoes... 

We've all been there. I don't think men think about the scale as much as women, but I could be wrong. I know that despite my relationship with it, the scale has been part of my life now for the last 5 or so years. When I first started weighing myself, I'd do it every few days in hopes I'd see a difference. Eventually, the weight started coming off and the scale was my friend. We've shared some moments together. When I got below 250, I was thrilled. When I saw the scale go from 200 to 199, I made a vow to myself never to let it get that high again. When I got to 175, the scale and I were at odds. I stayed stationary for some period of time. It was extremely discouraging. When I got to 150, I told the scale the only way I'd let myself get that high again was if I was pregnant. When I got to 140, I said this is my barrier. If I got over this number, I'd start curtailing things pronto to get back to where I was. My stationary weight for the last few years has been anywhere between 128-134. Yes, I just admitted my weight. 

The scale was like this disapproving relative that wanted to shove the 'fat' in my face. Its the one thing you cant lie to. You can't hide, you can't explain your way out of it. It doesnt accept reason, it doesnt accept logic. It doesnt care that it was your sister's birthday, followed by your birthday, Halloween then another birthday and then Thanksgiving. It just shows you what the truth is, regardless of if you want to see it or not.

I have had problems with the scale. I've wanted to throw it out the window. I've wanted to hug it in celebration. Its like this little part of my family, who happens to live in my bathroom (no, its not creepy). 
When I first started losing weight, I would do it every few days. Then, after I started seeing a difference, I would weigh myself every day. I still do, as a matter of fact. 

They say its unhealthy to weigh yourself every day because you're setting unrealistic expectations for yourself. But, I do it at the same time every day, right before I get in the shower. I have got pretty good at guesstimating how much I am, before I get on the scale. But, for me, I do weigh myself every day. Why, do you ask?

Well, this is why. I love beer. I love cheese, I love french fries. I love all food. Especially the food that is horrifically bad for you. I weigh myself every day to keep myself in line. If I weigh just as much or less than I did the day before, I know its ok to indulge a little bit. If I weigh more, I curb back my 'cravings' for those foods and substitute them with something else. Erratic, sure. Crazy? Probably. But for me, this is the one and only way I can remain true to myself and to do what I can to maintain my weight that I can't talk or reason my way out of. 

I can't lie to the scale. The scale doesnt care if I just got off of a stupid medication that made me gain weight recently. The scale can only do what its meant to do, which is to tell me exactly, to the ounce, how much I weigh. No holds barred, no "I dont mean to be rude but you've gained  XX lbs". It just does what I've asked it to do, when I ask it to do it. It might make me neurotic, or pathetic (your choice) but to me, this is the one and only true method for me to remain committed to losing weight and to maintain my weight. 

I am on a quest to lose about 10-15lbs. Its a little more than I actually gained when I was on the meds (8lbs)  but it will give me that extra cushion that I have been trying to get to for some time that my friend, the scale, wont let me surpass (hopefully, I can throw my uneaten cookies at the trolls guarding the bridge so I can distract them to get to my goal). 

How often do you weigh yourself? Why? 

1 comment:

  1. I weigh myself every morning after I get out of the shower stark raving naked. I, like you, can make a logical and usually dead on guess on my number of the day.

    The one thing the scale doesn't do is tell you why you didn't lose anything. You KNOW why you gained in most cases - but when you've just introduced new exercise or other activity into your daily schedule, drinking water, and eating better, WHY in the world did I just gain 4 pounds in the course of a week?! I don't know what I did wrong, and the scale won't tell me either.

    ReplyDelete