Thursday, June 16, 2011

Obstacles

You get everything all set up and ready to go, your vitamins, your protein shakes, salad fixins' and a bunch of healthy produce to munch on at work. You brought your work out clothes with you so you can hit the gym after work. You're psyched! Then, in a move straight out of Office Space, you get dumped a project. One that will require you to be there at work considerably later than you intended. . . Or, you get up that morning for a run to find you have a stuffy nose, sore throat and are coughing. Its happened to everyone, myself included.



There are always going to be obstacles that stop you from putting yourself in a 'fitness kind of mind'. For instance, I've been ill for the better part of three months. The first few months were difficult to move around (I was in a wheelchair when I left the house for a good part of it) and some days still are. I have prescription pain meds for the days that are really bad. However, this has not stopped me from trying to do something to keep moving every day. Regardless of my pain level, I still try to cook dinner every night and make it a healthy meal. Or, I would get up and vacuum the house. It would take me about 45 minutes (and our house isnt huge) but, I was making myself get up and do it.

Determination is a state of mind. You can be determined come hell or high water you are going to get started with your fitness routine, but then something comes up. Then, the excuses start. Yesterday, I was tired from not sleeping very well and the high outside was almost as hot as the devil's butthole. I was dizzy and exhausted. But, I got up, got dressed and went for a walk. It took me a great bit of time since I am still ambling at a slower pace but I walked almost two miles. I actually had said to David earlier in the day I was going to pass on exercise for the day and stay in since I wasnt feeling well. He just said, "ok". But then I went out and did it. I felt so much better after I did.

Today, after another night of not sleeping too well, I got up and ran an errand with David this morning. Despite my exhaustion, I cleaned the house since it needed it and made some home made salsa to bring to our families Father's Day dinner. In a few minutes, I intend to get on my bike and ride back up to Hi-Health to get the stuff they didnt have this morning that was coming in on the truck. I've found if I make a to-do list, regardless of if its in my head or on paper, I strive to get it done. Its hard for me to relax until I can mentally  "check" off what it is that I have to do for the day.

Murphy's Law says anything that can go wrong will go wrong. It seems that way some days, but its you that determines your outlook on the situation. You might be getting a cold... but you can still do some small stuff around the house. You might have to stay late at work... but hey, at least you have a job. You are the only one that controls how you look at the situations you are put in. You can let obstacles get in your way, making excuse after excuse or you can pull yourself up by your bootstraps and push through it. It might not be the most convenient to do your exercising at night later after work, or early before you go in, but you control how you spend your time. Even working out a half hour a day has statistically shown to improve your health. Just remember we all have to start somewhere.

What excuses do you use to prevent yourself from getting something done? Work? Family time?

No comments:

Post a Comment