Monday, June 27, 2011

Mental headgames or just a commercial?

Ok, so if you havent seen the commercial for Yoplait that they recently pulled from the commercial line up, I'll attach it for you here.







Now, one of my readers and I had a discussion about this on the Facebook page. Yoplait says they pulled it because they were challenged and thought that some viewers might agree that it helps promote eating disorders. I, call shenanigans.

This is why. I used to be heavy. Obese. Large and in charge. Whatever you want to call it. Now that I've lost weight, that doesn't mean I don't think the way that I did when I was losing weight. Just because I am thin doesn't mean that I'm oblivious to what I eat. I am. Almost anally.

You know why? I wouldn't STAY thin if I stopped thinking like that. If in fact I saw that particular cheesecake in my fridge, say at work... you know what I would do? I'd open the fridge, careful not to drool on it. I'd stare at it. I'd long for it. I'd sit and think about how wonderful it probably tastes. About how good it would be as it went down the hatch. Then, I'd start questioning my motives. If I had a piece, would I go back for more in Cookie Monster fashion eating all of it? Leaving a little cheesecake bit remnants on my lips so when the next person came in and asked where it went I could reply I dont know looking like the little kid that got into the birthday cake early? Probably. Then, I'd start making bargains with myself, much like the girl in the video above. I'd think about what I brought for lunch that day, what was on the menu for dinner and if I'd be willing to sacrifice something to have a smidge of the delicious cheesecake.

Mental? Maybe.

However, I think of it this way. I had to change my line of thinking when I started losing weight. I had to actually think about what I was eating. As in, why am I eating this? Do I really want it? Is it going to satisfy me or satisfy some kind of carnal craving that I have for cheesecake? Or, is it just going to start a downward spiral? Is this going to make me think that its ok to justify eating something like this every day? Would it start me into the path that I was on before when I started gaining weight in the first place?

Yes, all of the above does go through my head at one time or another. You can call it mental, you can call it being proactive, I like to think that I'm doing what I know.

In order to lose weight, you MUST change your line of thinking. What I eat and when is running through my mind constantly. I might be thin, but there is a big eater inside of me. I love food. Alot. So, in order to continue staying at a somewhat reasonable weight there are measures and stops I have put in place in order to control it. What are those, you ask? Its a very good question.

I try to stay within my goal weight, which I've set at 127-130. I've been there, my clothes fit nice, etc. In theory, I'd like to weigh 125. Anything under that, I think I'd look emaciated and the excess skin that I already have would be amplified like the bass at a Korn concert.

 I was well within those weight guidelines for a while. The holidays happened. My man's 30th birthday rolled around which entailed mucho cake. So, I was sitting at about 135. My pants fit fine then, I'm comfortable.

Then, I got sick. I gained approximately 8lbs with the prednisone I was on (for two and a half months). So, grand total right now is 142. Is that my optimal weight? Hell no. Am I considered overweight? No. But, in normal circumstances, once I started creeping towards 140, the faster I would cut off anything that would up my weight. Unfortunately, I didnt have that opportunity before when I was on the steroids, because I could bottle air and drink it and still gain weight.

Which all leads back to the original reason for the post. I will eventually revert back to the same line of thinking that Yoplait has deemed to be "eating disorder type thinking" in order to lose this extra weight. I have to exercise. I need to think more about what I put in my mouth and what purpose it will serve. If its not healthy, am I getting some type of satisfaction from it? Or, am I getting the protein/carbs/nutrients I actually need in a day without it.

You may all think I'm nuts, but thats ok. Everyone has to find what their internal calculator is to help them lose and maintain weight. Losing weight isnt a diet. Its a lifestyle change.

What methods do you use to lose weight? Do you keep track of calories? Do you find yourself bargaining with your inner being for desserts or extra treats? What do you think of the commercial?

No comments:

Post a Comment