Monday, June 20, 2011

Its an Investment

Everyone that knows me knows that I'm thrifty. I love shopping at Goodwill, Savers... Any thrift store. I love being able to purchase something out of season for .50. Or, buying shoes that still have the price tags on them that were over a hundred dollars that I bought for $3.00. Don't get me wrong, I do see value in certain things, such as Victorias Secret and Coach. Its like the mother ship is calling me home. I thought people were nuts to spend hundreds of dollars on a purse. Then, I got one when we went to the Coach outlet store in Vegas about 6 years ago. I'm rough on my purses and that bad boy still looks new. Same idea with Victorias Secret. I was large enough for a while that I wasnt able to wear VS. Then, the first time I was... it was like a new me hatched. I can spend money on a bra with VS that will last for a while, or spend 18 bucks on one at Target that falls apart after a few months. If I would have continued to purchase purses at Target or Kohls at 25-35 bucks a piece over the last 6 years, I would have more than paid for my Coach purse and a trip to VS.



Now, when it comes to certain foods you can save money or you can make an investment in what you purchase. Taste wise, would you rather have Oreos or the store brand? Hands down, there is no competition on taste. Value wise, yes... the store brand is cheaper, but it doesnt taste better. I feel that way about Campbells Cream of Broccoli soup too. I can't explain why, but the store brand tastes like the can. Either go big or go home, you know? Why buy something no one likes to eat?

The vegetarian items that are out for mass market are quite expensive. Morningstar Farms Corndogs are by far the best of the veggie ones out there. However, they are pricey. If you look at the price alone, that usually causes people to steer clear of them. After all, you can buy the regular mystery meat corn dogs in a box of 12 for $4.00 or you can buy a box of 4 of the vegetarian ones for $3.50. Economically, it makes more sense to buy the mystery meat ones than the vegetarian ones, but to me, there is a value in purchasing the more expensive ones. Its the same concept with the Soy Rizo and Soy Taco. They are more expensive than purchasing beef and the seasonings or just buying pre made chorizo. However, are they better fuel for you?

Think of your body like a car. You have to fill up with gas every so often to keep moving. Lets say you can purchase a tank of gas at $2.00 a gallon and you can go 250 miles. Or, you can spend a little more money and buy a tank of gas at $3.00 a gallon and go 450 miles. Yes, initially you spend more money when you are at the tank, but you can go further periods of time without filling up and you arent using fuel that corrodes your fuel lines. So if you can go longer between fill ups, it makes sense to go where you can get those extra 200 miles, right?  If you purchase crap food, like drive thru chicken nuggets and french fries, you are not getting the fuel you need to go a long period of time and it clogs your arteries. Yes, it seems like a lot of money when you go to the grocery store and purchase food (because shit is so damn expensive these days) but if you think of the QUALITY of what you are getting and the affect of what you eat on your overall health it by far pays for itself.  I am not opposed to eating 49c mac and cheese occasionally, but if you are planning your meal as that being a staple, you're thinking is a little off kilter.

The food you do eat affects your overall health immensely. For instance, when I was eating beef, I would feel sluggish, worn down and inevitably end up with what I affectionately call the gut brick. Now, why did I buy the beef in the first place? Because it was .99 a pound. I have since omitted beef from my diet, but have found I can eat salads and chicken for about the same cost and it doesnt weigh me down. I had gone to the store a few weeks ago and boneless skinless chicken breasts (a package of three) was almost $7.00. I looked a little harder at the selections and found that the same brand of chicken breasts, package of three, bone in and skin on was .69 a pound. Convenience is paramount, however, when people are looking at costs, the cost of those chicken breasts (which were raised near a power pole- they're huge) was cheaper than beef! AND, one chicken breast is plenty of food to feed myself and Dave.

I just ask that you weigh out what you are purchasing and really think about if you need to buy all the crap food and complain about the cost (but have the convenience) or if you want to take the time to healthily plan and execute meals for your family that will satisfy your hunger and not cause more harm than good. I think it was a Tim McGraw song that has the lyric "another supper from a sack, a 99c heart attack". Yeah, its convenient... yes, its cheap... but is it really worth it?

My mom gave me a magazine this weekend that had a recipe in it that looked tempting.

Mini Lasagnas

Marinara Sauce
Wonton Wrappers
Part-Skim Ricotta
Pesto


Heat oven to 375 with a rack in the middle position. Coat 12 muffin cups evenly with cooking spray. Line each cup with a wonton wrapper (corners will stick out) and fill with 1 tablespoon of marinara sauce, one teaspoon part skim ricotta, and 1/4 teaspoon pesto. Repeat to create a second layer of ingredients in each cup. Lightly coat the edges of wonton wrappers with cooking spray. Bake until the edges are golden brown and filling is heated through, about ten minutes. Let stand in muffin pan 1-2 minutes before removing with a spoon (or fingers) and transferring to plates.

You can add the veggies or meats you desire to this, however, I bet the flavoring would be great using a wonderful marinara with mushrooms in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment